LOLA SHAPES THE SKY
P S M F F I R R S O E L Z W U
T J D Z E B N N P P X S Q U D
N E H U R G O O A K Y P W G S
C L V M O W M H H L I A E V H
I P V O C L S H A D E L D F S
I H Q S I E C F Q C U C O Y E
E V A P O R A T E D J R H Y R
W X A Q U Z X I Y K E E J A F
A I F G S Q P R X C F D V H Y
B X N J W R Y G A L N N S E G
Y V J D E N L S N B P U B C L
A B M T F U T A W M Y H R I T
F L S Z R E H T A E W T A C X
L A O P R B N X K D Q Y I L V
M J N L Q P F R O H T R N H Q
Find the following words hidden in the puzzle. Words can read forwards, backwards, up, down and diagonally.
© 2019 Wendy Greenley This puzzle may only be reproduced or distributed by non-profit
organizations and/or educational institutions for educational purposes.
LOLA SHAPES THE SKY- Written by Wendy Greenley, Illustrated by Paolo Domeniconi
1. On a separate sheet of paper, draw a cloud shape you’d like to be.
Discuss why you picked this shape for your cloud?
Would you want to stay the same shape, or change like Lola does?
2. Which of the clouds in Lola Shapes the Sky would you want for your friend? Why?
3. Story starter – Envision a cloud shape (use the shape from #1 if you’d like).
a. Is your cloud the main character?
b. Who else is in the story?
c. Is your cloud a helper, or someone/something that needs help?
d. What problem does your main character have?
1. Why do you think the author picked the names she did for the clouds in Lola Shapes the Sky?
2. Define anthropomorphism.
Give an example of when Lola acts like a cloud, and when she acts like a person.
3. Read Lola Shapes the Sky slowly and find examples of:
Double meanings (“blew the other clouds away” “Lola thought cold thoughts” “you should just—evaporate” “Feeling low”)
Broad Discussion Question(s):
1. Discuss how Lola Shapes the Sky addresses the themes of individuality, creativity, status quo and bullying.
1. Research Thor in mythology. Do you think it was important for Lola to change Thor’s mind in Lola Shapes the Sky?
2. Why might the illustrator have chosen to draw what he did for “a pillowy billowy masterpiece?”