Author: Valerie Bolling
Illustrator: Maine Diaz
Themes: Dance, Rhyme
"Tappity-tap. Fingers Snap."
Synopsis: A rhyming survey of dance styles.
What I like about this book:
If you want a story time that leads into physical activity, this could be the book for you. The text is extremely spare, using lots of action verbs. Back matter provides information about each of the dances spotlighted in the text. The graphic style illustrations are vibrant and evocative.
- Research the origin of a favorite dance.
- Use the dances as an opportunity to practice writing directions. How would you describe the moves?
- Discuss who can do these dances, and why? (Hint: they may have regional origins but everyone can do them!)
- Examine the endpapers and match the shoes to the dances you think they might be good for
- If you live near Stamford, CT, attend the book launch on Saturday, March 7th! http://www.valeriebolling.com/events.html
- Invent your own dance!
The reviewer was provided with an advance copy of this book. No payment was expected or received in exchange for an honest review.
This review is part of PPBF (Perfect Picture Book Friday) where bloggers share great picture books. Organized and curated by author Susanna Leonard Hill, she keeps an ever-growing list of Perfect Picture Books. #PPBF