Title: Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep
Author/Illustrator: Eric Barclay
Publisher: Harper Collins, 2019
Intended Ages: 4-8
Themes: Friendship, Humor, Identity
"This is Sheep. She loves to dance."
Synopsis: A young sheep thinks she is an expert on watching sheep, and shares her knowledge with the sheep dog to help him do his job.
What I like about this book: When I was growing up, my family had a small flock of eleven sheep. And they do have personalities! This book highlights the main characters' disparate personalities, and ends with a heart-warming surprise. The illustrations paint bucolic scenes that highlight the humor as dangers are narrowly averted. The chubby, ambulatory upright sheep almost looks like a child in sheep's clothing, intensifying sheep's carefree child-like relationship with the adult-like even-tempered dog.
- Make your own Sheep sheep. For preschoolers - All kids network has a fun craft.
- For older children, Red Ted Art has cute sheep crafts. Who knew you could make a rock look like a sheep?!
- Talk about different jobs and what tools you need to do them. Do you need to look a certain way? Why or why not?
- Visit a petting zoo or farm and visit real sheep
- Read other sheep books like Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski or Can't Sleep Without Sheep by Susanna Leonard Hill. Which book is your favorite? Which sheep would you like as a friend?
- Discuss other jobs dogs do
This review is part of PPBF (Perfect Picture Book Friday) where bloggers share great picture books. Organized and curated by author Susanna Leonard Hill, she keeps an ever-growing list of Perfect Picture Books. #PPBF
This looks so cute! We have a running joke around our house that our dog (part herding dog) needs a sheep to keep her busy. Will have to look this one up. Thanks for sharing!ReplyDelete
The sheep does keep the dog busy - and ends up finding a job of her own. :) (I so wanted to give away the twist but it would spoil the read!)Delete
I love the title/names. Certainly looks a lot of fun.ReplyDelete
I hope you find it and enjoy it, Joanna! It's one of those books that builds and builds as you read. Fun!Delete
Definitely a fun premise and that cover is adorable.ReplyDelete
Wendy, you had me at the title and opening line! So brilliant! I will be checking this out at the library!ReplyDelete
This sounds SO fun! and I love the old truck on the cover.ReplyDelete
Sheep & a dog together. Gotta check this one out! Thanks for the recommendation.ReplyDelete
The cover is adorable. Love the color palette. I'm a sucker for picture books with animals. Can't wait to read this one.ReplyDelete